Archives for the month July 2021 of Genesis8 Amstrad Page
Dr.Roland is an Amstrad CPC reflexion game by John Lobo, which couldnt be participate to the CPCRetroDev 2020.
The patient is suffering a terrible virus infection, and your role as Dr.Roland is to get rid of those ugly and funky viruses, throwing them colored vitamin capsules. If four elements of the same color get together, all of them will disappear, and you will be one step closer to cure the infection. Dr.Roland is a tetrislike game that you can enjoy alone with your Amstrad CPC, or in a fun battle with a friend side to side.
John Lobo is also the author of another game released in 2016 : Amsthree a free adaptation of the mobile platforms game : Threes. The main goal of the game is to slide cards in a grid to combine them to create the highest multiple of three.
PunyInform v2.7 by Fredrik Ramsberg and Johan Berntsson is a library written in Inform 6 to create adventure game (pure text, no graphic support contrary to DAAD) using the Z-machine virtual machine which will run on 8bit computers (or more recent computers too). PunyInform has a parser, knowing of common verbs and a framework to write adventure games.
PunyInform is based on the Inform 6 library written by Graham Nelson. Its goal is to make easily adventure games in Inform 6, with a manual describing the differences between the official library and PunyInform..
Games using PunyInform can be compiled in z3, z5 and z8 format (z3 being the best format for 8bit computers, other formats have more features). Compared to the Inform 6 library, it means that there is no support for the Glulx virtual machine but z3 format is important as Inform 6 doesnt support it.
They are tutorials to write adventure game with PunyInform (end of the page).
Rainer has released CPCemu v2.3.2. It's available for MacOS, Android, iOS, Linux (x86_64 and ARM, in particular on Raspberry Pi) and Windows.
New version features :
- Almost complete emulation of the M4 Board using a host directory as drive C: (i. e. SD card; even for SymbOS), including network/internet connections, dynamic ROM simulation and (replaceable) Hack ROM (lower ROM). The only thing missing is the web interface
- CRTC emulation of type 0 (register 8 ) and type 1 (register 6) even better than before
- HYSNC and VSYNC emulation still a bit improved
- Online help updated
- Mouse pointer visible on movements
- Correction of many small and big errors (in particular, 576 KB RAM work correctly now for the first time after decades) and improved error reporting.
A new version of Mod Master XT beta 27 by FreddyV is available on Vogons. It lets you hear a lot of music modules formats on any PC under msdos even a PC XT (CGA), for example an Amstrad PC 1512/1640 or a PPC 512/640...
There was already in the Sierra adventure games a mode to support the special 16 color mode of the Amstrad PC 1512. This driver has been updated by ripsaw8080 :
- scrolling issue resolved so no more screen corruption: instead there are screen transitions that are better suited anyways for the slow PC1512 (additional changes were needed in the driver's dispatch routine to preserve the value of the DI register)
- color issue that resulted in unreadable areas is now resolved so newer EGA games are now readable (issue was the driver inexplicably reporting support for 65535 colors instead of 16), this made some later EGA titles playable: KQ5, SQ4, PQ3, SQ1 remake, LSL1 remake
Elite is a classic video game and Fessor started to disassemble the source code of the Amstrad CPC version to upgrade it using such ressources as the 6502 code of the Apple 2 version (commented) and the code of Elite TNK (The New Kind) by Christian Pinder. There is also the source code (with comments) of the BBC micro version.
For more news, Go to home page