A new version r005.8.16.4 of the Amstrad CPC core for MiST by Renaud Helias is available.
Archives of Genesis8 Amstrad Page from 1999 to 2018 about hardware
TMTLOGIC gave informations in April 2018 about the developpement of the Symbiface III card (see CPCWiki source too) :
- USB mass storage device FAT32, tested with an speed of 700Kb/sec, seen as drive D
- USB wireless mouse
- 512 KB RAM
- RTC (not compatible with the SF2 RTC) and a battery
- OLED display
The final choice of the features isnt frozen, you can propose other features on CPCWiki.
Everybody know the M4 wifi board by Duke for our Amstrad CPC. The M7-Galaxy board is an extended version of the M4 but intented for the Amstrad GX4000 as the board will interface inside the Z80 socket while le processor is on the board. It features :
- disk drive emulation, it emulates the DFC765 chip so all read/write accesses are redirected to a .DSK image like a Gotek or HxC without the need of a FDC chip
- Rom board
- cartridge emulation
- RAM expansion, probably 320 Kb + the original 64 Kb
- using a wireless keyboard and mouse
So you can upgrade an Amstrad GX4000 in an Amstrad CPC+ without any soldering. For more informations, see Duke's page.
The Zen80 board is similar to the galaxy board, but is used as the M4 board : externally and not internally. It will feature 8MB SDRAM (and MCU with more GPIO's), which would be hard to fit in the internal version without going BGA.
The boards will have an approximative price of 60 euros, there is no preorder at the moment.
To load an Amstrad CPC tape (or a ZX Spectrum one), you can use :
- a tape drive
- an Android phone with the tapDancer Virtual Datasette application
- the TZX Duino
In november 2017, a new version of the TZX duino was released with a percentage counter and a timer counter have been added to all screens, and in March 2018 the possiblity to do some firmare editing (type of screen, logo...).
You can buy the TZXduino in the author's shop.
An interesting information, a japanese engineer built a hand-made MSX computer, not with FPGA but with hard wired general chips, with several main board each one having the role of a fonctionnality of the MSX (one mainboard for video for example).
You are a good programmer (or not), you got an Amstrad CPC and a portable Nintendo 3DS console ?
Then you really need SmileBASIC by SmileBoom (japanese studio) to program Amstrad CPC games on the Nintendo 3DS for the price of 9,50 €.
There are five clones left of the compatible MX4 Multiface 2 interface. They are made by Talkrek.
Doragasu started a project in January 2017 about a ROM board interface with DMA transfert. The project is now a reality :
- it can play digital audio with approximately 0% CPU overhead. The limits are the bits per sample ( 8 ) and the maximum sample length (64 KiB). Sampling rate can be configured on the fly, and ranges from 3906 Hz to 50 kHz (and beyond)
- it can can transfer data from external ROM to internal CPC RAM at 1 byte per microsecond. While doing DMA the Z80 is stopped, but this is much faster than doing the copy using software routines
April Fool ALERT, April Fool ALERT
I have received the same email than Markus Hohmann as he announced it on Facebook.
So Alan Michael Sugar is asking to remove all ROMs of the Amstrad CPC firmware for a copyright reason as an Amstrad CPC mini will see the light later this year.
I was waiting for such a beast, but I didnt think about possible consequences. Though I will respect what he is asking as I have never wanted to put illegal programs on this web site.
CubeIOS is out, but AST is still working on his ACMEDOS replacement : IMPDOS for the mass storage extension card XMASS.
For more news, Go to home page